Keep an eye on your mailbox – it’s tax slip time

Nadine Koppeser - Jul 09, 2021

It’s the time of the year when you may start receiving tax slips related to your 2016 investments. Some slips may look familiar, others may not. Here’s a quick description of some of the more common slips and what you’ll need to do with them.

If you held mutual funds in a non-registered account, and the mutual funds paid a distribution in 2016, you’ll receive a T3 slip (or a Relevé 16 in Quebec). This slip will tell you how much income (interest, dividend or capital gains) you’ll need to report on your tax return for the mutual fund listed on the slip. 

You may also receive a T5 slip, or a Relevé 3 in Quebec. This is similar to a T3, but it tells you how much income you received during the year from mutual fund corporations (as opposed to mutual fund trusts), or from any stock dividends you received. You’ll need to report these amounts on your return also.

It’s important to note that if you held a non-registered account and received a mutual fund distribution, or dividends from a stock, you will receive a tax slip – even if that income was reinvested and not paid to you in cash.

Finally, if you sold any securities such as stocks or bonds in 2016, you will receive a T5008 slip. This will report any taxable gains or losses you realized when you sold those investments. Before you file your tax return this year, make sure you’ve received all the slips that have been issued to you. You might also be receiving some that I haven’t mentioned above – for example, if you’re currently living outside of Canada. At the end of the day, if you’re not sure which slips you should be expecting, get in touch with me and I’ll help point you in the right direction.